Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

27 October 2019

Little Bickford Mountain (a little bushwhack to a little mountain)


INTRODUCTION: 

This will be a short blog posting about a day in mid-October 2019 when I had little time, and so decided to do a little hike to a little ledge on Little Bickford Mountain.😃

As the crow flies, this little mountain is located about 3 miles north of Cannon Mountain in Franconia, NH.  On some maps, this mountain isn’t labeled, whereas some maps label it as simply Bickford Mountain.  However, I prefer to refer to it by an unofficial name of “Little Bickford Mountain” since there is a larger mountain just a short distance away that has an official name of Big Bickford Mountain. 

This wasn’t my first visit to the little ledge on this little mountain.  On each visit, I have followed a slightly different bushwhack route using a northward heading off the Skookumchuck Trail.  At the top of the map shown below, a large red arrow points to Bickford Mountain (a.k.a. Little Bickford Mountain) where the ledge is located.



PHOTOS:




BONUS PHOTO:

Click HERE for information about the collapse of the Old Man of the Mountain.


4 comments:

EvanHikes said...

A great write-up John! It's little bushwhacks to unknown ledges like this that make your blog special. It's also good to see there will always be somebody watching over the notch!

1HappyHiker said...

Evan, thank you for your kind words about my blog . . . very much appreciated!

John

One Day in America said...

This is a nice little write-up about a nice little hike to a scenic little mountain!
The open forest is pretty and I like the fallen leaves carpeting the forest floor.
And I'm happy to see that you've found another "old man" in the mountains!

1HappyHiker said...

Rita, thanks as always for your comments!

I doubt there will ever be a true replacement for the original Old Man of the Mountain.
Most likely, in addition to the one that I found, there are several other rock outcroppings in NH that bear a resemblance to the Old Man. However, perhaps the somewhat unique thing about the profile that I spotted, is its eerily close proximity to location of the original Old Man’s profile. But, as I indicated in my blog posting, the profile I found is very small, and therefore unlike the original Old Man, it’s doubtful that it could be seen looking upward from the bottom of Franconia Notch.

John