Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

22 October 2019

A Hike to Sabattus Mountain near Lovell, Maine


INTRODUCTION: 

As legend has it, Sabattus Mountain (near Lovell, ME) derives its namesake from a Pequawket Indian named Sabattus who had a hunting-camp on its slopes.  This mountain has been on my list for a long time.  I gave it higher priority after viewing a Facebook friend’s posting about a hike to this mountain.  And although this loop hike is SMALL (only 1.6 miles round-trip), it has BIG views.😃

Click HERE for directions and more information about this hike.

Shown below is a map that shows the location of Sabattus Mountain and the loop trail leading to it.


PHOTOS:








BONUS PHOTOS:



5 comments:

One Day in America said...

Wow! This hike certainly has a big pay-off for a short hike.

That photo of the cabin in the woods makes me wish I owned that cabin! Just beautiful.

Someday I have to get to New Hampshire and Maine during the autumn season.

Thanks for posting!

1HappyHiker said...

Rita, be it ever so humble, that ‘little cabin in the woods’ was my favorite view of the day. Please understand that the views of the mountains were nice, but for me, that cabin stole the show!☺

John

Karl said...

Hi John,

This is my kind of hike! Short hike, great views, fire tower remnants and a bonus benchmark! I love it!

In the southern part of the state, we have a lot of high hills that this hike reminds me of where ledges have viewing benches. They end up being a great source of relaxation for lunch time ventures. Sabattus Mountain looks like it would fit into my daily travels perfectly.

Still some nice color there too around that cabin!

Karl

Karl said...

Sorry John...couple more thoughts.

Is there a plaque on the fire tower footing? And, do you know how benchmarks get so beat up. I've seen a lot similar to this where it looks like someone took a ball peen hammer to it. Curious if you have thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Karl

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Karl,

Thanks once again for reading my blog, and also thank you for your thoughtful questions.

1) Regarding benchmarks, I also have often wondered why those metal discs are often found to be severely marred, particularly on mountaintops. My speculation is that it might be related to the metal-spiked footwear that is used by hikers during winter months. Also, maybe in some cases there is an element of vandalism involved. Unfortunately, humankind isn’t always kind!

2) Yes, there is a plaque on one of the fire tower footings. The best I can determine from the inscription, he was a person who had a great love for Mt. Sabattus, but he had no connection to the fire tower. He died as a result of a boating accident. (As a result of your question, I have updated my blog posting to include a photo I took of this plaque.)

John