Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

14 June 2019

Loop Hike in the Crescent Range (Randolph, NH)

INTRODUCTION:
 
In early June 2019, I did a 6-mile loop hike in the Crescent Range which involved a short bushwhack to Mt. Randolph North Peak, as well as visiting several on-trail viewpoints located on the north and south side of Mt. Crescent.

PHOTOS:



 






BONUS MATERIAL:

Ten years ago, I did two bushwhacks 6-months apart to a huge talus field on a nearby mountain named Black Crescent.  One was in March 2009 with Steve Smith, and the other was done solo in September 2009.  Memories of those treks were brought to mind upon seeing this talus field while standing on the small ledge on the north side of Mt. Crescent.

The first photo presented below shows the photo I took of the talus field from Mt. Crescent in early June 2019.  And, the two photos that follow are snapshots taken 10-years prior when visiting the talus field during a bushwhack adventure.




4 comments:

One Day in America said...

Hi John,

I like the before and after photos of the talus field taken ten years apart. The years fly by so quickly though, don't they?
From the photos of this hike and the two previous hikes it looks like you had wonderful hiking weather in early June of this year.
The downclimb of the rock face looks a little treacherous to me. I don't need any more torn ligaments or muscles!
Nice trek and post!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Rita . . . oh yes, for sure the years do fly by ever so quickly. I was truly shocked when looking at my hiking records and discovered that it had been 10 years since doing the hike to the talus field on Black Crescent.

Further regarding “time”, I always enjoy this quote from Dr. Seuss:
“How did it get so late so soon? It's night before it's afternoon. December is here before it's June. My goodness how the time has flewn. How did it get so late so soon?”

Anonymous said...

In the third photo, could the peak you have identified as Rogers Ledge actually be Victors Head?

1HappyHiker said...

Anonymous, first of all, many thanks for reading my blog and taking time to post you comment.

Regarding your comment, I can definitely understand why you would question whether the peak I identified as Rogers Ledge might actually be Victor Head. I have gone back and taken a second and third look at the photo, and looked at various maps and Google Earth. I still think that the peak in-question is more likely to be Rogers Ledge than Victor Head. In the photo you can see a portion of North Peak directly behind and to the left of Rogers Ledge. Also, the pattern of the bare cliff face more closely resembles that of Rogers Ledge than it does for the cliff face on Victor Head.

So anyway, those are my thoughts, but as always I’m very open to being proven incorrect. If you have further thoughts to share, please feel free to post them.

All the best,
John