Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

31 May 2020

Exploring Haystack Brook near Twin Mountain, NH


INTRODUCTION:

“There's always something to occupy the inquiring mind.” ~ Margaret Atwood

The above quote seemed appropriate since in mid-May 2020, my “inquiring mind” was curious as to what could be discovered when bushwhacking along a segment of the Haystack Brook drainage that runs on the WEST side of a little mountain with a bare-rock summit that is often referred to as ‘The Nubble’ (located near the village of Twin Mountain, NH).  So, what I found on this little adventure was a series of small, but picturesque cascades (see photos below).

I am also curious to discover what there is to see along the segment of the Haystack Brook drainage that runs on the EAST side of the The Nubble.  But that will have to be the subject of some future adventure since my time was too limited to include it this time around.

This trek was done as a 3-mile loop which is highlighted in lavender on the map shown below.
 
PHOTOS:




~ THE END ~

4 comments:

One Day in America said...

I loved the flower photos! Our cacti have just started to bloom around here. Not too many other flowers yet.

The picture of the moose was indeed gruesome. It looks like a young Moose, or a small female. Wonder how it died?

Of course, I always like the pictures of the cascading streams in your area. It's been very dry here this spring, so I'm envious of all the water in New Hampshire!

Another fine hike, John. I'll look forward to the post on your adventure to the East side of The Nubble!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Rita,

Great to learn that your cacti have started to bloom! Hopefully your wildflowers will also begin to blossom soon.

Regarding the cause of death for the moose, I suppose it’s anyone’s guess at this point. Among the possibilities might be collision with a motor vehicle. I spotted the moose’s body at a point that was within a tenth of a mile or so from a highway. And so, I supposed that it could have been hit, seriously injured, and then died in the woods.

John

One Day in America said...

Of course I would hope that the occupants of the vehicle are okay, but just the same it's sad to think that this young moose may have been struck by a car or truck.

Also, I forgot to comment the first time on your opening quote. I have heard Margaret Atwood give interviews about her books—she is very intelligent and well-spoken. I'm a fan of hers. You can tell that she has an inquiring mind!

1HappyHiker said...

Rita, thanks for your follow-up remarks about the moose and Margaret Atwood. And yes, I would agree that is apparent that she has an inquiring mind!