Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

31 August 2019

A Slippery Slope: Bushwhack Adventure near Twin Mountain, NH


INTRODUCTION: 

A “slippery slope” probably best describes my recent 3.4 mile (round-trip) bushwhack adventure in the Twin Mountain area of NH!  Upon arrival at my destination at the bottom of a slide, I found it to be steeper than anticipated, and it was very slippery.😳 By doing a rather arduous bushwhack along the thick woods adjacent to the slide, I eventually found a spot on the slide that was within my comfort range to venture onto.  And from that spot, I was able to enjoy a limited view and snap a few photos before ending my journey.

There are two slides on the west side of a mountain often referred to as PATN (Peak above the Nubble).  Just for ease of reference, I’ll refer to them as the ‘Slide A” and ‘Slide B’ (SEE COMPOSITE PHOTO BELOW).  On a couple of occasions, I’ve used Slide B to bushwhack to PATN.  But I’ve NEVER ventured to ‘Slide A’ until this most recent bushwhack adventure.  It should also be mentioned that Slide A is sometimes referred to locally as the ‘check mark slide’ since its shape resembles a check mark.


 PHOTOS:

TO SUM IT UP: 

It would have been great if the top of Slide A had been reached.  But, I have no regrets.  Much was learned about the nature of Slide A and the surrounding woods.  This will be very valuable knowledge for a return visit.



2 comments:

One Day in America said...

I like your attitude about not reaching the top of Slide A. On my recent trip to Great Basin I had aspirations of reaching 13,064 foot Wheeler Peak but stopped short of that goal. However, I also learned a lot about the trail and... I'll be back!

I also enjoyed your photo of the woods surrounding Slide A and the very apt description of hiker's hell vs. bushwhacker's heaven!

It looks like you're making the most of your late summer hiking days

1HappyHiker said...

Rita,

Thanks, as always, for being such a faithful follower of my blog.

Regarding my decision not to proceed to the top of the Slide A, and your decision to stop short of reaching the top of Wheeler Peak, there are the following lines from “The Gambler” (by Kenny Rogers) that frequently come to my mind is situations such as this: “You got to know when to hold 'em; Know when to fold 'em; Know when to walk away; And know when to run”.

John