Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

25 April 2012

A Six-Snapshot Short-Story of a Hike Along the Peabody Brook Trail

Please don't feel any need to comment on this blog report since there really is not much to it.  This brief story can be told with very few words and only 6 snapshots.  On 24-April, I took a springtime saunter along the Peabody Brook Trail in Shelburne, NH.

Along the way, there were nice scenes of the brook.

There were numerous picturesque cascades.

Also, just for good measure, there were views of the Presidential Range along the route.

I saw what is presumed to be a Trailing Arbutus, although my wildflower identification skills are not the best!

Also, while doing an off-trail adventure to the ledges on Bald Cap Peak, I came across a spot where a moose had likely laid for a rest, as evidenced by a small pile of hair left behind.

Overcast weather produced gloomy views from Bald Cap Peak.  And while sitting there having my lunch, it began to sleet!  (If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you might notice the little white dots, particularly on the lower portion.) 

After visiting the ledges, I descended back to the trailhead via the same route as used for my ascent.  Hmmm!  Maybe I should add a map?!  So okay, if you count the map shown below, then there are 7 images included in this report, rather than the 6 that I advertized at the outset of this Blog! :)
(Click on the map to enlarge it.)

To sum it up, this was a short, but satisfying hike!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just because I like hiking in the Shelburne area, but I thought this report and the photos were great!

1HappyHiker said...

Thanks Anonymous!

I also like to hike in the Shelburne area. Can't quite put my finger on it, but whatever it is, this area has a definite appeal to me.

John

One Day in America said...

Even though you say "there's not much to it" I found this report entertaining as always John.

I liked the stream pictures and especially loved the photo of the moose hair—very cool and something I have never seen before, so it's absolutely worth a comment!

Rita

1HappyHiker said...

Rita, like you, in each Blog I read, I can nearly always find some nugget that is interesting and/or informative. I admire folks like you who take a moment to post a comment about what piqued their interest.

I think you’d agree that reader’s comments are appreciated for reasons well beyond the “pat on the back”. These comments can often add depth to a report by the additional insights and information they frequently contain. Plus, the feedback can help the Blogger produce a better product as reader’s likes & dislikes become known through the comments that are posted.

Thanks again for taking a moment to post your comments!
John

vegematic said...

Peabody Brook looks like it was moving pretty well I loved the second picture you posted. Did you happen to visit Giant Falls - or was that it in the second picture? I only took that side path once before, in late summer, and we dubbed it "Giant Trickle"

1HappyHiker said...

“Giant Trickle” . . . I love it!

For a couple of reasons, I didn’t take the spur-trail off the Peabody Brook Trail (PBT) to visit Giant Falls. For one thing, my time was limited, and my primary target for the day was Bald Cap Peak. Also, I think the unnamed cascades/falls (like the one in my Blog) along the upper portion of the PBT are almost as impressive as Giant Falls, plus they are easier to photograph! The angle you get from the spur-trail viewing area is such that you only see a truncated portion of Giant Falls. It is a massive falls (guess that’s why they call it “Giant”), but perhaps the best view of the ENTIRE falls is via binoculars from Route 2. :)

Thank you Vegematic for taking time to post your comments!

John