Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

22 January 2018

Wondrous Winter Season in Northern New Hampshire

Ah! . . . the wonderful winter season! I love this time of year when the land is buried under a blanket of snow, and the world around you is eerily quiet and serene as you venture into woods and fields.

This blog posting will be a bit different from my previous reports.  It consists merely of a collection of photos showing some of the many wintery scenes that I’ve enjoyed while Nordic skiing, and snowshoeing, at various locations within a short drive from my home in northern New Hampshire.  This posting will be considered to be a ‘success’ if it inspires just one reluctant person to get outdoors and begin building their own collection of winter adventures.


PHOTOS:


1) Bronson Hill (Sugar Hill, NH)
2) Pondicherry (Jefferson, NH)
3) Cooley-Jericho Community Forest (Sugar Hill, NH)
4) Frozen wetlands at Crawford Notch, NH
5) Nordic skiing along a backwoods corridor (near Twin Mountain, NH)
6) Cooley-Jericho Community Forest (Sugar Hill, NH)
7) Zealand River (near Twin Mountain, NH)
8) Snow flurries while snowshoeing in forestland near Bethlehem, NH
9) Nordic skiing on eastern slopes of Mt. Deception (near Bretton Woods, NH)
10) Cascades along Bemis Brook (Crawford Notch, NH)
11) Nordic skiing at Rocks Estate (Bethlehem, NH)
12) Nordic skiing along banks of Connor Brook (near Shelburne, NH)
13) Trail after newly fallen snow (near Bethlehem, NH)
14) Rabbit tracks on a trail after newly fallen snow (near Twin Mountain, NH
15) Red squirrel on a chilly winter day (Crawford Notch, NH)

TO SUM IT UP: 

To sum up this blog posting about winter, here is a quote from Ogden Nash:

“Winter is the king of showmen,
Turning tree stumps into snowmen
And houses into birthday cakes
And spreading sugar over lakes.
Smooth and clean and frosty white,
The world looks good enough to bite.
That’s the season to be young,
Catching snowflakes on your tongue.
Snow is snowy when it’s snowing,
I’m sorry it’s slushy when it’s going.”

                * * *
And if you need more inspiration to get outside during the winter season, then check out a posting from another blogger at the link below where you'll be treated to yet another showcase of winter scenery from another part of America, the great State of Colorado.


11 comments:

Larry said...

Your posts and pics always serve to inspire me, so please consider this one a success! Great to see that you have been out and enjoying that great northern New Hampshire backyard you have available. Best wishes in the New Year.

1HappyHiker said...

Yay! A success!

Larry, thanks for posting your comments. You truly made my day!

Best wishes to you in the New Year, as well.

John

One Day in America said...

Wow John, wondrous indeed! I love every single one of your photos and consider them all quite inspiring. The pic of the little red squirrel is awesome! Did you use a telephoto lens?

Well, ironically, I am about to post to my blog—either today or tomorrow—and my subject is going to be about "making the most of winter". It appears that you beat me to it! :) But seriously, this is a fantastic winter post.
Thanks for sharing New Hampshire's awe-inspiring winter scenery!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Rita . . . am happy to read that you found some inspiration in my wintertime photos. However, knowing that you also enjoy the great outdoors during the winter months, you probably need very little motivation to get outside and enjoy the snow. :-)

Regarding your question about my photo of the squirrel, I didn’t use a telephoto lens per se, but did slightly zoom in on it when taking the photo. The squirrel was only about 25 feet or so away from where I was standing.

Last but certainly not least, thank you once again for taking time to read my blog and post your comments.

John

Soumyendu said...

Hi there happy hiker! Just dropped in to say those pics are amazing, especially the sixth one, for its balance and depth.

1HappyHiker said...

And hello to you Soumyendu! I am very appreciative of you dropping by to view my blog.

Thank you very much for your kind words about my photos. It is always gratifying to know that some of my work provides pleasure to others.

John

Larry said...

hey John,

Posing again since I enjoyed looking at the inspiring pics again. I agree with Soumyendu, I like #6 and also #2. While partly cloudy skies can make picture taking a bit difficult, I really like the mix of sun & shadow; clouds add to one's depth perception and adds drama for my eyes. You have a good eye for framing your subjects, be they a mountain or a squirrel!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Larry . . . thanks for your kind words, and for taking time to post additional comments.

I totally agree with you that a cloudy sky can indeed add a lot of drama and interest to a photo. It isn’t always possible to pick the day that I can get out for a hike. But given the choice, I would choose a partially cloudy day over a cloudless sunny day. :-)

John

Matt M said...

Hi John,

I enjoy your posts even if they are just pictures. The way you capture the moment is amazing. What are the ranges in pictures #3?

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Matt,

Always great to hear from you, and your kind words about the photos are much appreciated.

Regarding you question about Photo #3, some of the major features include peaks in Presidential Range (in distance at far LEFT); followed by the Twins and Mt. Garfield; and ending at RIGHT with major peaks that include Lafayette, Lincoln, Cannon.

As always, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions that you might have.

John

Matt M said...

Thanks John for your reply.

I recognize Mt. Washington and the rest of the northern Presidential Range but was having trouble with the rest of it because of the angle. That looks like a great spot to view the White Mountains.

Matt