Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

10 July 2017

Mt. Monroe: An Out and Back Hike via Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

INTRODUCTION:

On a recent Sunday afternoon, I did a simple "out and back" hike to Mt. Monroe (5,372 ft).  This mountain was named in 1820 after James Monroe, our fifth President.   It's generally thought that Mt. Monroe was first ascended in 1642 by Darby Field, accompanied by a contingent of Native Americans.

The hiker's parking lot at Marshfield Base Station was my starting point for this hike.  From there, I walked a short distance to pick up the 0.3 mile long spur path that connects with the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.  My route entailed a round-trip hike of about 5.6 miles, with an elevation gain of about 2,900 ft.

The route used for this hike is highlighted on the map presented below.

Route used for hike is highlighted in orange

PHOTOS:

This photo was taken from the Marshfield Base Station before setting forth on the spur path to the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail.  The day started out with heavy overcast on the high peaks, but thankfully the overcast dissipated while en route to Mt. Monroe.
Photo was taken at about the half-way point during the ascent.  At upper left, notable landmarks include Bretton Woods Ski Area and Mt. Washington Hotel (red roofs), and at lower right is Marshfield Base Station where the hike began.
Approaching AMC's Lakes of the Clouds Hut.  A great stopover spot before ascending the summit of Mt. Monroe!
This photo collage was taken during my approach to Mt. Monroe.   LEFT PANEL: a mother who was hiking with her two boys; RIGHT PANEL: one of her sons waving and shouting that he made it to the top!
Photo shows a classic view from top of Mt. Monroe.  At top center on the horizon is Mt. Washington, followed by Mt. Clay and Mt. Jefferson at center/left.  The Lakes of the Clouds Hut, and the Lakes of the Clouds are seen near bottom/center.
The Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail has numerous picturesque spots along the way.  This photo shows just one of many.
TO SUM IT UP:

The hike as described here is very rewarding unto itself.  However, if time and stamina permit, it can be made even more rewarding by including Mt. Washington in your itinerary, or doing other add-ons using a variety of trail combinations in the nearby vicinity of Mt. Monroe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing your experience. Your photos always inspire me to continue exploring these amazing locations.

1HappyHiker said...

Thanks for your comments! Very much appreciated!

It’s very gratifying to know that my blog can serve as an inspiration to others to get outdoors and enjoy the natural world.

John

One Day in America said...

I agree with Anonymous, John—your blog serves as an inspiration to leave the indoor world and our "devices" behind, and to experience the natural world. Thank you for that!
The field of purple lupine against the stormy sky is very impressive! However, I'm glad the weather cleared a bit for your out-and-back hike.
The elevation gain on these hikes never ceases to amaze me. Certainly, your cardiovascular system is in great shape!
Also, I liked the variety of scenery on this hike. Very rewarding indeed!
Thanks for sharing!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Rita . . . thanks for your thoughtful comments!

Many of the hikes in the mountains of New England do indeed have some impressive elevation gains. Since that is where I do most of my hiking, I rarely give it a second thought. Although I’ll confess that when deciding whether to do “Hike A” versus “Hike B”, I’ll sometimes opt in favor of the one with the lesser elevation gain. :-)

And yes, my cardiovascular system is apparently good enough to get the job done, albeit at a slower pace than younger hikers who sometimes speed by me on the trail :-)

John

Audrey Sallese said...

Hi John, I just joined up. Keep 'em coming!

1HappyHiker said...

Hi Audrey! I’m delighted and honored to have you aboard!

Although Facebook has become my “go to” place for most of my hiking adventures, I still try to make postings to my blog at least once a month.

John