Pages

About Me

My photo
Bethlehem, New Hampshire, United States
E-mail contact: randonneur8@yahoo.com | Facebook: facebook.com/1HappyHikerNH

Text Above Search Box

SEARCH MY BLOG USING TEXT BOX SEEN BELOW:

02 December 2011

An Odd Couple: Thompson Falls and Lila's Ledge

My recent 10-day trip away from home caused me to get behind on a number of things.  Finally, by late morning on 01-December,  I was caught up enough to go for a short hike.  Well, actually I did an "odd-couple" of hikes.  These two hikes were odd only in the sense that the pairing of Thompson Falls and Lila's Ledge is a somewhat unusual combination, or some might even say bizzare!  Both of these hikes were launched from the parking lot at the Wildcat Mountain ski area.

Thompson Falls was my first destination.  I'd never hiked to this particular location.  Perhaps I'm just easily impressed, but I thought the waterfalls/cascades at this location were impressive.   A few snapshots are shown below.



Following my mini-trek to Thompson Falls (1.4 miles round-trip), I embarked on my second hike.  I walked to the south end of the parking lot for the Wildcat Mountain ski area and then crossed Route 16 where I began my trek to Lila's Ledge from the Crew Cut trailhead.  I had been to Lila's Ledge on a previous occasion, but used a different approach route.  Oddly enough, the round-trip distance for this hike was the same as for Thompson Falls, i.e. 1.4 miles!

A few snapshots taken from Lila's Ledge are shown below.

Wildcat Mountain ski area on the first day of December 2011 (no skiing today!!)

Mt Washington (just left of center) flanked by Tuckerman Ravine and Huntington Ravine

To sum it up, admittedly this pair of hikes was a rather "odd couple",  and the overall hiking distance was, shall we say, "short".  But despite all that, these hikes were still satisfying and they provided an enjoyable few hours in the woods.

5 comments:

Karl said...

Hi John,

Glad to see you back! I would agree with you that these must have been a satisfying few hours in the woods. Waterfalls and views, what more can you ask for?

The cascades definitely look impressive. I must admit, I've never heard of either of these landmarks, but will be checking them out. Jill and I are always looking for short, afternoon treks for when we stay up in Jackson.

Nice post!
Karl

1HappyHiker said...

Thanks Karl!

Thompson Falls and/or Liebeskind's Loop (which includes the Lila's Ledge viewpoint, among others) would make for an absolutely terrific short afternoon trek when you and Jill are staying over at Jackson! I'll look forward to reading a report of your adventure to either or both of those locations!

John

One Day in America said...

As you say, John, short hikes can be worthwhile too. After all, getting out for only an hour or so is better than not getting out at all.
Thompson Falls may not be Niagra (and that's probably a good thing) but it's an impressive cascade in a lush, natural setting.
Looks like Wildcat could use some snow!
Rita

Summerset said...

Not a bizarre combo at all - these hikes would be perfect for those with children, too. The hikes are short, have a neat destination and viewpoints. Better to be out for a little than not out at all!

1HappyHiker said...

RITA: You are so-o-o-o right about Wildcat Mountain needing some snow! We certainly are in a "snow drought" period. Some of the local businesses have messages posted on their marquee such as: "PLEASE . . . let it snow!" or "We want snow, and we want it NOW!"

SUMMERSET: The Thompson Falls Trail would definitely be something for parents with young children to consider. However, depending upon the aptitude of the child, and the parent's personal comfort-level, the Lyla's Ledge lookout might generate some cause for concern (especially during wet or icy conditions). There is a steep (but short) descent to the ledge and a precipitous drop-off at the end!

John